Sunday, September 16, 2012

Unknowns

I feel like there are so many unanswered questions. I have tried to look on line and research it but I found that there is not a lot of information on the donor besides "I donated, it went well, everyone's happy." I did find a a few blogs with videos. These were great but I wish there were more scenarios with different situation. Donors don't seem to be followed and studied on the long term. What information is out there, is a little sparse.

Here are some of my questions:

How does it feel before surgery? Obviously everyone will be different but it would be nice to read about.
How soon will my sister and I be able to see each other afterwards?
How much help will we need on a daily basis right afterwards? and for how long?
I have read once that donors often go through a sort of mourning for the lost organ. Is this common and if so how long does it last?
Do I meet with the psychologists post surgery?
I heard somewhere that the normal discharge is after 2 days, can it really be that short?
How soon after can I fly home?
Are there any changes to my daily life even small things that aren't necessarily a big deal but would still be nice to know?
I've read that women can safely have pregnancies after transplants but is it a little different because of this? Will I have to be monitored more? Are C-sections more likely? Could I have an at home birth if I wanted to?
Will health care be more difficult to find now or more expensive?
Once fully recovered are there any strenuous activities that are recommended you never do as a result of the transplant?

In the mean time, I keep myself occupied by reading about the recipients and autoimmune diseases in general.



No comments:

Post a Comment